Wednesday, April 9, 2008

and we are in Texas...


We played outside today for a while, and I went on the back porch (where Tye had just been) and was greeted by this little fellow. I went to PaPaw's to get a shovel to kill it, and thank goodness PaPaw came with me. Normally, I can kill them myself, and I had every intention of killing this one, but when PaPaw moved it and put the shovel behind its' neck, it spread out just like a cobra. I ran to get my camera, but it wouldn't fan out again. If I had seen that by myself, I would have run off screaming, "COBRA!!! COBRA!!!" Luckily, he was not a cobra, but he was scary nonetheless.


8 comments:

Mary said...

Ok, after seeing this picture and all the other very wild animals you have in your backyard, I don't think I want to come play at your house. At least not in the backyard.
You've got creepy stuff back there!!

Alisa said...

Maybe I shouldn't post all these animals! lol... It's really not that bad, but you do have to keep an eye out. When the grass is mowed, you can see everything. I grew up out here with 6 siblings, and we are all still here!

Holli said...

Eww.. that's scary. What kind of snake was it?

Alisa said...

I am not sure...my grandpa called it a spreadneck snake, but I looked them up, and I think it is a hognose. They, according to the internet, are harmless, just look and act scary!!

S. Gibson said...

That is the scariest thing I have ever seen. We have a fake rubbery one that looks just like that. I'm getting rid of it (along with a HUGE tupperware box I filled with toys after you left, aren't you proud)

Katie said...

Okay, that would be completely freaky, especially since Tye had just been there where the snake was. What you need is a rifle- I can so see you standing out there shooting at the snakes. LOL

Amy said...

That's one thing I don't miss about living in Nome! I hate snakes! When Natalie was around 4 or so, she walked into our bedroom in the morning and told me there was something on the floor. I sat up and saw that it was a snake. I sent her back to her room and told her to stay there until I told her it was safe. Then, chicken that I am, I called PaPaw and asked him to come over and kill it. Turns out it was just a harmless snake, but I still didn't appreciate it in my bedroom! Poor Natalie still talks about that morning! She also remembers a time when she almost stepped on a snake while walking over to mom and dad's. She learned like we did when we were kids to always look down and make sure there's not a snake on the ground.

Stephanie said...

AAAAAAAAAAH!