Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wasted votes...

I have to take a moment and vent. I am trying to keep an open mind about other ideas for this election. However, I cannot agree with Ron Paul when he stated, "It’s time for that conclusion to be challenged and to recognize that the only way not to waste one’s vote is to reject the two establishment candidates and join the majority, once called silent, and allow the voices of the people to be heard." At least at this point in time I cannot agree. If they had started this movement years ago, or maybe by next election, then I might would agree, and probably would stand with him in this movement. But, realistically, Bob Barr and the other 3 smaller party candidates will not win this election...especially if there are 4 of them!! At this point in time, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. So, as a voter, I have to look at the 2 people that this election is REALLY between, and vote for the one that is closer to what I want for this nation. I know there are people that think that I am the one that is wasting the vote, by not voting for someone I fully agree with, but I cannot sit back and watch our democracy turn to socialism. I think it is too late for this election to get enough people to vote someone other than Rep or Dem, and make a difference. I mean, let's be real here for a second. The popular vote doesn't make the decision anyway. It is the electoral college, which is influenced by how many vote for the candidate, but in each election, the media covers all sorts of numbers. And what do we remember the next day? Who won. That is it. Obama could get 40%, McCain 30%, and the other 4- smaller parties 30%. Who is president??? Obama, even though 60% voted AGAINST him!!! This is why the 60% must ban together (at least for this time, and we can start a new movement on November 5th). I hope that I am not the only one that feels this way. I just had to vent for a second. Obama scares me, and I will not risk him winning so that I can "make a statement" that will not be heard after November 4th. Ignorance? Maybe. Scared to death of socialism? Definitely.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I agree with you, Alisa. I know there will come a time when we will be better able to vote for someone other than the two main party candidates, but it's too late this time around. I wish it wasn't, but it is. If we vote for one of the independents, then we may as well vote for Obama. I'm scared to death of him too! He would certainly try to lead this nation toward socialism and that is terrifying!

Mary said...

Hey Alisa, we have already talked about this and though we disagree on many levels I did want to tell you that I agree that Ron Paul has gone about this in the wrong way. Spreading votes across four candidates isn't getting the desired message out. One would be better. The Electors are suppose to pladge to vote what the majority vote. But at the same time are free to do whatever they like.

I have been looking at Obama and McCain and only see one major difference and that's on Roe v Wade which is unlikley to be changed by either. They both take us in the same direction just in different ways. Never really addressing the problems.

Is Obama really that scary? And McCain really not that scary?
Be glad you are in Texas and don't need to worry about Obama. Texas is a red state he's not changing that. Both candiadtes know this and that's why that don't campaign here.

My hopes are not high but I do hope that at least the four major issues that were anounced in Ron Pual's press conference are included in the debates and possibly a couple other candidates but it's unlikley because they (D and R) are in charge of the debates. The contracts are already drafted and signed.

We have been hoodwinked this election by both parties and yes it's probably too late. After the election, on November 5th, everyone will sit and start watching on the side lines again. Nothing will change. Buisness as usual. Four years ago it happened, this years it's happened and in another four years it will happen again because no one is willing to do anything about it. Without support for third party candidates they will never win.

I am still undecided, please don't take this as an endorsment. Palin's first interview (in part) is tonight I will be watching.

Mary said...

BTW, I hope you are not too upset about my difference of opinion. I feel frustrated that people don't see it my way too, but no hard feelings, ok? I love ya! xoxo

Michael Vasquez said...

Actually, Mary, I was thinking the other way around...I hope YOU aren't too upset about MY opinion! That post really wasn't directed towards you, but after I posted it, I thought there was a chance you may see it that way. Like I said, I would be willing to band together on November 5th, but it is too late now. And, unfortunately like you said (and I was saying in the post) on November 5th people only know who is president and things go back to normal...it is a shame. Love you, too!!!

Mary said...

Alisa, I really hate to be annoying but I just realized that what I think Ron Paul was saying when speaking of the 60% of voters was that these 60% are people who end up not voting because they are unhappy with thier choices. These 60% are not voters taken away from other parties. He says it at the begining of his press conference. He also throws out there that we essentially elect a president with only 30-32% of the American people.

Michael Vasquez said...

Isn't that pathetic? No wonder our country has gone to crap (for lack of a better term.) And now Southeast Texas is going to be drowned and blown away by Ike!!

Katie said...

I really like what you wrote Alisa. I think that people as a whole need to stop worrying about if they're offended others when they voice how they feel. I think it's important for everyone to voice how they feel. I have to say I really agree with you. Yes, I agree w/ Ron Paul on issues, but at the same time, he like the other's have said some really stupid things. I did vote for him months back as well.

Reality is, he's not going to elected president. While I support him, I am not going to waste my vote so to say and vote for him in Nov. My vote needs to go towards someone who has a very strong chance to be in the white house and I need to make sure I at least do my part to make sure Obama is out of it. I'm not too keen on McCain, but at this point you have to vote for the lesser evil. I do however love Palin.

Bottom line of my comment, I completely agree with what you said and feel the same way. This election is now between 2 people..... my vote needs to go one of them.

Katie said...

I forgot to say that no matter who takes office, our country is really screwed. We're going to be going down hill faster than we've already been. That's very, very scary!