Monday, September 22, 2008

Back at home...but it's not as good as I thought...

We decided to come home last night. We knew that part of a window had been broken, and part of the side of the house (just the outside layer) was gone, but neither looked too serious. Well, we were wrong. Kenadie woke up last night and could not breathe (some water got in her room), and I went to sleep with her when our bed broke (perfect timing), and now I am pretty sick. My throat hurts, and I don't think it is good for us to be breathing that air. I had an appointment in Houston this afternoon that I had to cancel because I just don't think I even have the energy to drive. So, our search for a house in Austin is kicked into overdrive. We found one that we really liked, but it was a little more than we wanted to spend, but it looks like for the health of the family, we may have to do it anyway. If not, we may move into Aunt Shirley and Uncle Paul's in Beaumont...which they said was fine, but after Tye and Kenadie run and scream for a few days, they may be changing their mind. I hate the feeling of being "homeless." I can't even imagine what the people must be going through that know their homes are leveled, and they are staying in a shelter. I am so thankful that we did not have to do that. Promise (again) to post pics, soon.

5 comments:

Holli said...

Alisa - I know how you feel. A wall in Gabi's room cracked and got soaked with water. So, now I'm worried about mold.

Gabi's been sick for forever it seems... but, if it's any consolation, I've heard that around 80% of our area are experiencing allergy symptoms because the storm stirs everything up.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry, Alisa. I remember after Rita that we thought the house wouldn't be too bad off because we had just lost a few shingles. Once we were able to go inside, we realized just how much water had gotten in. It is certainly no fun, especially when you're not feeling well. Y;all are always welcome in our home, so just let me know if you need a place to stay. I'm sure Aunt Shirley and Uncle Paul would be happy to have y'all, though. I hope your house searching in Austin goes well! I hope you feel better soon! Give Tye and Kenadie a big hug from all of us!

Aunt Kim said...

Alisa....I'm so sorry to hear that. I know that I talked to your Mom this morning (actually yesterday...since it is already Tuesday here...lol). She told me that PaPaw's house wasn't as well as they once thought either. Know that ya'll are in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers....wished we lived closer for ya'll to have another place to stay. Give the kids a hug for Uncle Tom and I...

Thereasa said...

I'm sorry Alisa ... dang! I sure hope you all feel much better soon!

I'm going to miss ya'll when you move away!

Bingham Bunch said...

How AWFUL for you guys! I know here in Fort Worth we felt the allergen count increase--I CANNOT even imagine what it must be like down there for y'all. Good luck with the house hunting in Austin. You will be in our prayers!