Sunday, July 27, 2008

Parental Sacrifice

I have been thinking lately about all the sacrifices that my parents must have made (and I am sure still make) while raising their 7 children. I remember all the Christmases, the family vacations, new school clothes, extracurricular activities, food on the table, etc etc etc. I think it has been on my mind because of the tough economic times that we are facing. My kids do not have any clue what sacrifices we make to make sure they have the things we need, just like I had no clue while I was growing up. I just totaled up Tye's broken arm, and it cost about $11,000. Thankfully we have insurance, so we will only pay $3-$4K. But, because he was being "a little boy" and jumping off the couch, we have to sacrifice in other areas to take care of this. While we love our children, and would do anything for them, no matter the cost, it is still difficult, and frustrating at times knowing there may never be an honest thank you. So, years later, I would like to thank my parents for all the sacrifices that they make on our behalf. I didn't say it enough growing up, but I hope they realize it was appreciated more than they know. I love them for all they are and all they do.



4 comments:

Mary said...

I like that post, Alisa. You are right parents sacrifice a lot for their kids and never get enough thank yous. It's getting harder and harder to see the sacrifices they made and are making because of the good times most of us grew up in. But it could all be changing...

Zaehringers said...

I think the older we get, the more mature we become, and the different phases of parenthood we enter, make us realize all that was done in and for our behalf growing up. Tye will understand one day and he will say Thank you.
Thanks for this post. Even though we are parents ourselves, there is always time to give thanks to our parents.

Laurie said...

Mom and Dad have done a lot for each and every one of their kids. Even though we didnt always get EVERYTHING we wanted, we did get the majority. They are such good examples for us in every aspect of our lives.

Amy said...

That is so true, Alisa! I never really appreciated how much mom and dad sacrificed for us until I had children of my own. I feel so bad now for all the times I kept wanting things and had no clue what it cost to get stuff for seven kids! I can barely handle the two I have! We have the most wonderful parents ever!